Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding
Our newest obsession to mix into weekday mornings is chia seed pudding. It has a lot going for it:
- easy to prep (2 minutes or less the night before)
- can customize with toppings – so no fighting over “but I wanted …”
- it’s solid (healthy, nutrient dense food that will serve my energy and blood sugar – very glucose-friendly, full of fiber, omega-3s, healthy fat, and protein)
Amazing flavors can be created with easy additions.
Tools From Kitchen.
- Fork to gently stir night before ingredients in container
- Storage container
Step #1: Night Before Ingredients (NBI) Base.
- (about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup depending on size you want) Milk – Dairy or non-dairy (we avoid dairy milk mostly here, but I like to use macadamia milk, coconut milk or almond milk – you could also use cashew or hemp milk)
- (about 1/2 tsp per serving) Vanilla extract
- 2 – 4 tbsps Chia Seeds (I use 2 for kids, and 3-4 for me)
- 1 tsp to 1 tablespoon of honey/maple syrup/monk fruit (more or less depending on sweetness preferences, I find a little goes a long way)
Blend all “night before ingredients” in a container/jar (1 serving per container).
Gently stir and store in fridge.
Step #2: Morning Flavor / Topping Options.
I get out the rest of the topping options (see below for different combinations to consider) to create a sort of assembly line so me and the kids can pick. What usually happens is they’re at the island stool and I’m asking them as I add to their jar.
Not cold toppings: granola, cacao, sea salt, maca powder, nuts, seeds
Cold topping ideas: jam, fruit, dairy/non-dairy yogurt, nut butter like almond or cashew/other
- Layer it like a parfait – If you’re adding protein powder or cacao put that in FIRST, I use about a teaspoon of cacao when they want a chocolate flavor – this is great and high in antioxidants.
- Make the middle count – we really like adding a bit of crunch in the middle.
For the ones you see below, my kids are love adding: tsp cacao, greek yogurt, grain-free granola, fresh berries, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a few dark chocolate nibs. I encourage you to experiment and find combinations you might like!
- (if doing chocolate flavor) 1/2 to 1 tbsp of cocoa powder (to taste, can depend on your richness preferences and size of avocados)
- ½-1 teaspoon lemon juice
- (optional) Sea salt to taste – great with chocolate (like ½ to 1 teaspoon)
- (optional) Organic coconut cream unsweetened (if you want to have it on top chilled)
- (optional) Berries/toppings of choice
I mix mine up but I do like adding a little more chia seed, and maca powder to mine.
Flavor Combinations To Try:
- Vanilla – night before ingredients (NBI) + fruit toppings
- PB & J – NBI + nut butter, jam/fresh berries + optional seeds on top
- Pumpkin Spice – NBI + pumpkin spice seasoning mixed in + cream/yogurt of choice + granola for crunch
- Banana Split – NBI+ yogurt/cream like coconut cream + banana
- Strawberries & Cream – NBI + strawberries + cream/yogurt of choice
- Blueberry & Cream – NBI + blueberry + cream/yogurt of choice
- Lemon & Cream – NBI + lemon squeeze or juice + cream/yogurt of choice
Add a Nutritious Kick:
- Maca powder
- Protein powder
Additional Notes & Keeping.
- I find that as long as it’s eaten within a week they keep well in the fridge – but wait to put toppings on until the morning of so things don’t get soggy.
As always, I’d love to hear if you try!
Are You New Here? Welcome! I want this space to be useful for you!
I created Free WELL to empower YOUR freedom to choose to create the life and wellness you desire, with more flow and integration.
As a professional researcher, change and idea strategist, and a professionally trained Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Life Coach, I partner with women to clarify their vision, break through barriers, and achieve their desires.
Free WELL offers:
✔ Online learning experiences and self-paced programs
✔ Serving Women Virtually (be anywhere) & In-Person
As a mom of three, co-owner to a small, local business, wife to Dr. Pete, owner and Founder of Free WELL, and a former senior-level director, I know firsthand we can “have it together” and “know better” but that doesn’t mean we “do better”. A lot that lies between knowing and doing.
I know the feeling of having to parent like I’m not a professional and work like I’m not a parent.
I know how it feels when parts of life seem disconnected, like you’re constantly taking two steps forward then five steps back. I’ve been there.
And I know what it’s like to work at home (both as a “sahm” and “working” mom – we all work) and want so badly to live a life of “not hustling” that it seems like your “hustle” becomes doing all you can, to avoid the social trap of hustling. Phew!
I know and have felt these things and now make it my mission to help other women feel empowered, get to know and attend to all parts of themselves, and achieve the things they want to do.
- Coaching with me is a great way to address your whole self, mind, body, nutrition, and lifestyle. A well runs dry when parts of it are neglected, I don’t want that for you.
- If you have a question about working together, I offer a free consultation or write to me with your inquiry.
- My email letters (I like to call them use-letters) go out to the FW community when I feel I have something of use for you. If interested, subscribe here.
- Connect with me on Instagram, LinkedIn. My intention with being in these spaces is to build community, share what Free WELL is up to, and be perfectly imperfect human beings together.
I believe in you.
Medical Disclaimer. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only.
Affiliate Disclaimer: This section often contains some affiliate links and codes to products that I love, which means at no additional cost to you (in fact you’ll save $$ with the codes) I could receive a commission on purchases made from the links I share. So THANK YOU! It’s a small choice to make, but by clicking and using the codes, you are helping to keep this site alive. I am sending you a big virtual hug. Thank you, friend! Seriously, thank you!
Research and idea expert turned Integrative Nutrition Health Coach & Educator. Helping you fulfill your own wellness, one choice at a time!